The universe that is worth mastering

Solicitud de admisión, escuelas de negocios, estrategias, rankings, etc.
Responder
rid
Founder
Alma mater: UPM

The universe that is worth mastering

Mensaje por rid »

Os dejo un artículo que me ha parecido muy interesante escrito por un alumni de Booth graduado en 1999, que habla sobre cómo la crisis punto com afectó a su promoción, sobre el impacto que tienen las crisis económicas en los recién graduados MBA, sobre la percepción que tenían antes sobre Wall Street y el dinero. Merece la pena su lectura.

Artículo completo: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... _page=true

Destaco alguna cita:
Ten years ago, we graduated into a country where the Twin Towers were still standing, Webvan was a going concern, and the unemployment rate was 4.5 percent. Many of us headed to New York or other cities to become what Tom Wolfe, in The Bonfire of the Vanities, called “the Masters of the Universe”—the financiers who can earn lottery-size sums on a single deal.
When my class matriculated in 1999, ads for a firm called Discover Brokerage featured a tow-truck driver whose passenger notices in the cab a picture of the home—an island—that the driver has purchased with his fabulous online-trading profits. The passenger looks taken aback while the driver muses, “Technically, it’s a country.”

What’s even more amazing than the fact that this ad was ever made is that this sort of triple-distilled balderdash could intoxicate a large group of very smart people at one of the nation’s top finance schools.
And they were laid off in droves, along with the consultants and aspiring dot-com employees; during my first year or two in New York, my recollection is that at least half my classmates there lost their jobs.
We paid for our naïveté, though. A surprising number of my classmates acknowledge that if it hadn’t been for the 2001 recession (or the even bigger one in 2008), their careers would probably look very different. Multiple studies indicate the same thing: when you graduate really matters. Graduate into a bull market and you’re more likely to get a job, and to get a job that pays well. Graduate into a bear market and you’ll end up with less choice and a lower salary.

Unemployment can affect your earnings anytime, but according to another study of undergraduates, the earlier it happens, the worse it is, with the most-serious impact on people who suffered an “employment shock” during that critical first year,
[In 1999] “Forty-one percent of your class went into banking,” Morton told me [Morton is the associate dean for career services at Booth]. That’s an astonishing proportion, though it didn’t seem so at the time.
[Now] Only about 25 percent of last year’s class went into banking, which is a little lower than is now normal. More of today’s new M.B.A.s are doing what our finance classes should have taught us to do: diversifying. So a contraction in the finance sector is terrible for that 25 percent, but it doesn’t devastate an entire class stuffed with bankers, consultants, and dot-commers.
when employment in the securities industry was near its peak and the banks were so flush that Merrill Lynch flew us to Nantucket on a private jet for a recruiting event.
Indeed, if Booth is any indication, the complaint that “the best and the brightest” are being siphoned off into consulting and finance is less true today. One of the four “distinguished alumni” honored that weekend was Pat Basu, Class of 2005, an M.D./M.B.A. who became a White House fellow in the Obama administration, where he worked on health care. Morton told me that current classes don’t talk as much as mine did about money; they talk about the things they want to make and do.
The most remarkable thing about my business-school reunion was, in fact, how little people talked about money or jobs. They talked about family, friends, the trips they took, and the houses they were turning into homes. According to the behavioral economist Daniel Kahneman, they were talking about what is really important: “It is only a slight exaggeration to say that happiness is the experience of spending time with people you love and who love you.” Now, that’s a universe worth mastering.
The only people who never fail are those who never try
Snatch
Asociado Senior

Re: The universe that is worth mastering

Mensaje por Snatch »

Muy bueno el artículo Rid. Al final cada uno tiene unos principios. Así habrá gente que le tire más estar con su pareja, con su familia o tener más tiempo libre para dedicarse a sus hobbies. Yo soy de los que piensa que si vas a una escuela de negocios del tipo Booth (de hecho Booth destaca por ser especialmente buena en Finance) es porque tienes en cuenta el salario a la salida. Está claro que hay una cierta diferencia entre ser avaricioso y ambicioso...

La verdad que como muy bien dice el autor, las escuelas ahora hablan mucho de cambiar el mundo más que de tener un salario astronómico una vez graduado y probablemente sea debido a fantasmas del pasado. (aunque sinceramente, el sentido estricto de una compañía es hacer pasta; pero bueno todo depende del wording :roll: )
Responder