Emprender después de un MBA

Orientación profesional, oportunidades laborales, ofertas de trabajo, becas, programas para estudiar o trabajar fuera
Responder
rid
Founder
Alma mater: UPM

Emprender después de un MBA

Mensaje por rid »

A los que tengáis como objetivo crear una empresa después de hacer un MBA, quizá os interese este post escrito en GMATClub por Alex Chu.
Being in love with the idea of entrepreneurship (without a specific business in mind) is sort of like being in love with the idea of marriage (without a specific person in mind).

Too many people have romantic notions of what entrepreneurship is about, and it's what draws them - the vague idea of independence, being your own boss, etc. And that romanticism dies VERY fast when you are in the thick of running a biz. Now, of course most people who have run their own businesses would have a hard time wanting to go back to work at a big company, it's not without a lot of tradeoffs that they are willing to accept.

How successful you are at running your business has almost nothing to do with "entrepreneurship" as a concept or some romantic notion or passion for "being my own boss." The success of the business lives and dies by your FOCUS on the actual business itself - whether that business is your own, or happens to be a division within a larger company.

Don't force the issue (i.e. "I am going to have a business idea by the time I graduate") because it will be driven more by your desire to be an "entrepreneur" more than your desire to make the specific business work - if you force the issue, there's a greater chance it won't work out because your passion won't be specific enough to the business itself and you'll likely not have the stomach or heart to endure the tough times (which are inevitable).

Of course, keep an open mind. A lot of b-school alums do end up starting their own businesses - but most of them don't do it right out of school. It's not because they can't, but simply because most don't have a SPECIFIC business they want to start. And most of the businesses that do get started by alums tend to come from a more organic and natural place (i.e. circumstances and experience, rather than some 100% theoretical or abstract "problem solving").

It's easy to get caught up in this mad rush to achieve career nirvana within the first 5 years post-MBA - rather than seeing yourself on a much longer path (hopefully). A lot of alums start businesses anywhere from 3-15 years after b-school. You can afford to be more patient than you actually feel (i.e. having to do everything "now" and get results "now").

So when it comes to schools, worry less about "entrepreneurship" and more on which school you'll likely enjoy more and yield a richer life experience. Especially when you're dealing with two schools that are roughly comparable in terms of overall reputation.

And finally, once you start a business, no one cares about your pedigree (which school you went to). Employees care that they get their paycheck on time. Customers care about getting the product you sold them. Investors only care that you are running the business responsibly. The government only cares that you pay your taxes. It's really easy for many MBA prospectives, students (and even recent alums) to overstate pedigree - like as soon as you get an MBA the whole world will bow at your feet or that they should treat you differently.

Again, don't get too caught up in wanting to start a business for the sake of it. If you have a vague idea, then let it simmer - if it evolves into something compelling to the point where you are absolutely OBSESSED to the point where you are willing to drop out of school - then it may be a business worth starting (because you care that much). Otherwise, keep an open mind - and it's perfectly fine to work for someone else post-MBA for a few years, and have your life/career evolve to a point where an opportunity presents itself that you may find compelling enough to really pursue - and not because you're interested in "entrepreneurship" but more because you are obsessed with the specific business idea itself.

Alex Chu
http://www.mbaapply.com
Ref: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mit-vs-insead ... ml#p890028
The only people who never fail are those who never try
Responder